Friday 7 October 2011

I Love I-Spy Quilts

I have two nephews and this year i made them both a quilt. The oldest just tuned four and I decided to make him an I-Spy quilt using some of my stash. 


His bedroom has blue tones and he is also a big aeroplane fan, and so, earlier in the year, I had been collecting fabric to match. It was helpful that we had a road trip to Mudgee, Katoomba and Sydney in April and I could visit a few fabric stores in person.


So there's some Dr Seuss, pirates, wilderness, bugs, owls, Nemo, Diego and Castle Peeps.


I also pieced the back...


with some really cute tone on tone prints and leftovers.


Earlier this year I made my first I-Spy for my own son who turned seven. I followed a pattern from a 'Quilting' magazine that my mum had. It only took me 16 days to piece together during the summer school holidays.


I collected some older-boys fabrics and went for a green theme. My mum had given me all of her leftover children's fabrics and a pack of 'Wilderness' fabrics that she'd ordered from 'Keepsake Quilting' in the US.

A simple green backing...I hadn't yet discovered piecing.


I have my single-bed + sized work quilted by a lovely lady in Ipswich Queensland named Judy Speikjer. She has a long-armed machine but does the FMQ by hand. She is so talented and consistent.


I think I love I-Spy quilts because it's eye-catching, fun to collect, fussy cut and piece.







1 comment:

  1. I love this type of I Spy Quilts. Much better than the ones with sashing around each block and all the same size.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.