Saturday 10 March 2012

Good Golly Miss Dolly

Like an Olympic marathon qualifier, what I thought would be a nice race to the finish became a heartbreaking limp. 


It all started with the binding. In the past, I have had trouble making my small project binding too wide - usually 2 3/4" or 2 1/2". This time I thought I would opt for a narrower binding. So I cut my vintage reclaimed strips at 1 1/2".


I thought nothing of it as I sewed it onto the front of Dolly Quilt #2. It looked great.
But then it came time to attach it to the back and sew in the ditch in the front. Because I cut the fabric on the bias, there was no stretch at all...and it just did not cover the 1/4" on the back in some places!


I wanted to cry...yes I did! Tears of frustration were threatening. So I did what all good quilters should do and turned the light off and went to bed.


So then this morning I was kind of hoping that the light of day would bring fresh insight. Should I persevere? Or cut my half stitched (very badly I might add) quilt loss and unpick it?


I decided to persevere instead. So I replaced my bobby pins with lots of pins to hold the fabric in place.


So here is it! All finished and I can truly say 'thank you God'. 

Technically it's Saturday but I'm linking up anyways...



6 comments:

  1. So glad you managed to make it work. There's nothing more frustrating than getting so close to the end and having it not turn out right. The quilt looks great and you wouldn't guess at the troubles with the binding - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely little quilt - the binding looks great - well done for sticking with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow - I really love the plaid binding on the bias like that. Worth the extra trouble of seeing it through. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies..I agree that perseverance and plaid were worth it in the end. Dolly Quilt #3 had a 2" binding which was the perfect size.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that's amazing that you got that binding on there. Yay you! Beautiful finish, Fiona! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.