Wednesday 13 February 2013

A Last Minute Gift

My improvised design wall is the venetian blind with clips!

My closest friend on the Plateau comes from north east China. Her parents have been out here for the past eleven months on a tourist visa. I have a good ear and memory for most languages but when it comes to Asian/tonal languages I have a learning block. After all this time I can still only greet them, say thank you, goodbye, Happy New Year and "My Mandarin is not very good!" Oh yeah and "sit down" (left over from 3 years sitting in on my Year 5 classes learning Mandarin).

Winter Lights Festival in Harbin, China 

Anyway Lao Lao (grandmother) is a lovely lady and I want her to remember her time in Australia with fondness. So I decided this week to make her a lap quilt to take home. I know it will not be warm enough for -40 degree nights in Harbin during the Winter Lights festival but she can throw it over her woollen blanket.



I am using a charm pack that I collected from a Travelling Stash last year. It is called Victoria by Nikki Russell and is a Benartex Sampler of 56 charm squares. I had to supplement the prints with some florals and pastel solids from my stash.


This Week's  Sewing  Stats

Completed projects  -  0

Currently in progress -  Tall Boy Runner (top complete)
                                            Dresser Runner (back)
                                            Victoria lap quilt gift
                                               
Yet to start  - "You Little Ripper!" paper pieced block for Feb
                           
On Hold projects   - Sherbert Dreams Quilt
                                     - 4 Liberty Pillowcases 
                                     - Victorian Garden Quilt - to baste
       





I am belatedly linking up with WiP Wednesday. It is my 44th birthday today and one of my lovely friends made me a chocolate pavlova and brought it over. As well as some of her handmade mango chutney. I felt very special indeed.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! Love the quilt. Nice simple pattern and you've matched the fabrics well. Now I feel like cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in the quilt! Happy birthday too!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.